Low-level-light therapy or photobiomodulation is based on Light Emitting Diode (LED) technology and is the application of light energy to the body for therapeutic benefits. It promotes a natural photobiochemical reaction similar to the process of plant photosynthesis. The energy delivered by the LEDs has been shown to enhance cellular metabolism, accelerate the repair and replenishment of damaged skin cells, as well as stimulate the production of collagen — the foundation of healthy, smooth skin. Research has shown that LED light therapy may help smooth skin texture, improve skin firmness and resilience, increase lymphatic system activity, restore skin’s natural cellular activity, and reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and superficial hyperpigmentation. The treatment is for all skin types, and is non-ablative, non-invasive, painless, and requires absolutely no downtime. Patients or clients can return to their normal activity immediately after the treatment.
Based on extensive research, low-level-light therapy devices have been cleared by the FDA, and shown to manage:
- Mild to moderate acne vulgaris
- Superficial, benign vascular and pigment lesions
- Periorbital wrinkles and rhytides
- Sub-optimal local blood flow and circulation
- Minor muscle and joint aches
- Minor muscle and joint pain
- Pain and stiffness associated with arthritis
- Minor arthritis or muscle spasms
- Minor chronic neck and shoulder pain of a musculoskeletal origin
No. Light therapy is non-invasive and is painless when used as intended.